Dueling Apps: Pandora vs. Last.fm, Round Two — St. Vincent
My best iPhone music app experiences are currently with Pandora and Last.fm. I downloaded Pandora almost instantly once I got the phone, but I was pointed to Last.fm by a friend this past weekend, and since the two services are fairly similar in format and functionality, I decided it would be interesting to take one artist each day and build stations for them on each service. I will list the first 10 songs Pandora and Last.fm deliver for each artist, and then assess which service offered the best response.
Today, we see what music dares to swirl around St. Vincent.
1. St. Vincent, “U Call This Love.”
2. Volcano Choir, “And Gather.”
3. Andrew Bird, “Anonanimal.”
4. Dirty Projectors, “F—ed For Life.”
5. Camera Obscura, “Razzle Dazzle Rose.”
6. The Antlers, “Kettering.”
7. Regina Spektor, “Carbon Monoxide.”
8. Girls, “Laura.”
9. Mirah, “Cold Cold Water.”
10. Neko Case, “John Saw That Number.”
Pro: As we’ve come to expect, the distribution of artists on a Last.fm Top 10 is diverse, and while there is an emphasis on female artists, it’s not exclusive — plus, Andrew Bird and St. Vincent are paired for this week’s “Austin City Limits,” so good on you, music bots! Plus, while the list is aimed toward the arty, there’s room for the earthier end of the spectrum with a nice choice from Neko Case. But… and this is one colossal “but,” boys and girls…
Con: That St. Vincent track is not Annie Clark, our beloved odd goddess, but California-based singer-songwriter Vincent Bernardy, who has recorded and released music as St. Vincent. So while the songs were clearly aggregated based on Clark’s music, you don’t get Annie. Bernardy is good, but the vast, vast, vast majority of Last.fm users creating a station for St. Vincent are doing so hoping to get our illustrious “Marry Me” singer. FAIL!
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 57337Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14801Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9259Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7518Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6644Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6577Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6568How to help tornado victims
- 6479Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6305Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5197Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients