Holiday Video of the Day: Band Aid, “Do They Know It’s Christmas?”
This arrived during my senior year of high school, so I look upon it as a snapshot of my general Anglophilic pop sensibility at the time, and it’s a perfectly solid Christmas pop choral benefit — completely beats the hell out of “We Are the World,” which followed the pop star choir formula a few months later. (In fact, I think “Just Give a Kidney” is better.) Not a lot of the Band Aid performers still have rock-ribbed music careers these days (no, I’m not a “Fandau”), but Paul Weller was there, so it will forever have the mark of cool.
As a footnote, the part that Paul Young sang at the beginning was written for David Bowie to sing, but scheduling issues forced Bob Geldof to sub-in Mr. Young. Bowie did sing it at Live Aid the following summer, and my sense is that the original single would have much more solid legs if Bowie had made it on time for the recording session. Subsequent re-recordings have been total wastes of time.
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients