Video of the Day: The Pipettes, “Our Love Was Saved By Spacemen”
StaticBlog fave-raves circa 2007, The Pipettes originally had an early 1960s girl group/Petula Clark thing going, but then Rosay (sigh) and Riot Becki left, replaced by lead singer Gwenno’s sister Ani and two turnstile spinners, Anna McDonald and Beth Mburu-Bowie, both of whom left the group after microscopic stints.
So now we have Gwenno and Ani, danced-up and partially Auto-Tuned on “Our Love Was Saved By Spacemen.” Shockingly enough it’s a good pop song, produced by Martin Rushent of Buzzcocks/Human League fame, but this has almost no stylistic correlation to what they were doing before.
It’s more than a little like when Bananarama gave Two-Tone the heave-ho in the middle 1980s in favor of the dut-dut-dut-dutdutdut of Stock-Aitken-Waterman for “Venus” and “I Heard a Rumour.” But more likeable.
As for Rosay, enter Rose Elinor Dougall and The Distractions:
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients