deadCENTER review: “The Four-Faced Liar”
“The Four-Faced Liar”
Directed by Jacob Chase
Traditional relationships get the run-around in “The Four-Faced Liar”, the product of a bunch of NYU film students’ work, adapted from a play to film.
The premise is simple enough. Prudish Greg (Daniel Carlisle) moves to New York to be with his just-as-prudish girlfriend Molly (Emily Peck) when they meet new friends Trip (Todd Kubrack), his girlfriend Chlose (Liz Osborn) and his lesbian roommate, Bridget (screenwriter Marja Lewis Ryan). The ensemble grows to become friends, crassly discussing the nature of their relationships over video games (the guys), in the kitchen (the girls) and while playing drinking games (all of them).
Molly—a Clare Danes look-alike—reads Wuthering Heights throughout the film, discussing her dull but practical relationship with Bridget, who listens the way she wishes Greg (read: Linton) would. It soon becomes clear that the two works share a central theme, though—in a twist—Bridget proves Molly’s Heathcliff.
It seems Molly’s grown tired of Greg’s turn-the-lights-off and climb in bed ways, and after a dirty bathroom rendezvous at the crew’s favorite bar, The Four-Faced Liar, the Molly and Bridget sneak around town, pawing at each other like teenagers. It’s not long before roommate Trip finds out and blabs to Greg, which forces Molly into the quintessential Wuthering Heights-situation, whether to choose between what’s socially acceptable and practical or what’s truly her identity.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients