Video of the Day 2: St. Vincent Pays Homage to Elvis Costello on “Conan”
Annie pines away for Carney
In his first U.S. television performance on “Saturday Night Live” in 1977, Elvis Costello famously played a few bars of “Less Than Zero” before stopping the Attractions and launching into the far more domestically topical “Radio, Radio.” This time out, Annie Clark begins with “Radio, Radio” before stopping down, mimicking Elvis’ explanation and going forward with “Cheerleader.”
A few people in the audience got the joke, but not really enough: this was a fairly famous incident in which Costello felt that a point needed to be made while the powers that be (yes, they still “be”) thought otherwise.
In fact, it is so well known that, on an “SNL” anniversary special, Beastie Boys and a special guest staged their own tribute/allusion to the performance.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11753Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10515Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9760Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9740Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6752Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4200Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 4065Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3847Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 3762Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 3552OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients