Music Review: Elle Varner, “Perfectly Imperfect” (RCA)
Elle Varner’s mother sang backup for Barry White and her father was a session musician and producer in the 1980s, so it computes that a pleasing throwback aesthetic would form the foundation of Varner’s debut album, “Perfectly Imperfect.” Varner’s sweet and seductive vocal style is steeped in jazz traditions rather than post-Whitney Houston soul flourishes, and as its title suggests, “Perfectly Imperfect” rises above the rest by layering organic delivery and sensibilities into its first-rate material.
This emphasis on real R&B is addressed in style and substance on the opening track, “Only Wanna Give It to You,” in which Varner sings that she “came before this digital ocean where people only move in digital motion.” Her slight rasp lends truth to the statement: Varner’s vocals never sound worked over and there isn’t a hint of technical sweetening on glorious “Refill,” a slow-burning ballad about saying too much, too soon. Producers Andrew “Pop” Wansel and Warren “Oak” Felder throw some startling sound flourishes into the arrangements, including a sawing fiddle sound on “Refill” and the cracking snares and guitars on “Sound Proof Room.” But Felder and Wansel are strictly in the business of building a great sound for Varner, who shows off her soaring vocal mastery on the neo-soul gorgeousness of “I Don’t Care.”
Buy Tickets View all
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients