Static Christmas 2012, featuring O’Fidelis and The Grown Ups, Feathered Rabbit and Moon, Denver Duncan and Brianna Gaither, Mont Lyons and Alyssa Jackson, and Honeylark and Horse Thief
This year’s “Static Christmas,” recorded on Dec. 1 at Kamps and debuting today, builds on what has become a great holiday tradition for the series: bringing local artists together to pool their talents and create new Christmas memories rooted in Oklahoma City’s music scene.
In the last few days of Advent in 2009, as we were just closing out our first year of “Static,” Wayne Coyne and Steven Drozd of The Flaming Lips started the “Static Christmas/Static Holiday Sessions.” In the middle of rehearsals for their New Year’s Eve performance of Pink Floyd’s “The Dark Side of the Moon,” Coyne and Drozd joined us in the NewsOK Studios to perform their beautifully megaphone’d versions of “Silent Night” and “White Christmas,” followed by an off-the-cuff reading of “‘Twas the Night Before Christmas.”
This was a hard episode to top, and so we shifted directions in 2010, inviting multiple performers to join us at Urban Roots in Deep Deuce for one of our earliest remote sessions for Static. We asked several performers to pair up and collaborate on Christmas classics, and the performances were varied but uniformly stunning. That year, Jabee and Dr. Pants performed the Run-DMC classic “Christmas in Hollis,” Daniel Walcher and Skating Polly joined for John Lennon’s “Happy Xmas (War is Over),” brothers Matt and Joe Stansberry did “White Christmas,” Sherree Chamberlain harmonized with Brine Webb on “Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas,” K.C. Clifford and Jami Smith blended together on “Draw Near,” and Cami Stinson, Cara Black and Jeremy Thomas closed it out with their soul-gospel reading of “Silent Night.”
It was a concept that worked beautifully, and last year we relocated to the Deep Deuce Grill for another holiday special. Denver Duncan joined OK Sweetheart’s Erin Austin on “Baby It’s Cold Outside,” Stinson returned to perform with The Nghiems on “I Wish It Was Christmas Today,” Marcy Priest and Sean C. Johnson played on the Vince Guaraldi Trio classic “Christmas Time is Here,” newlyweds Maggie McClure and Shane Henry played “All I Want for Christmas is You,” and Chase Kerby and Chelsey Cope capped off the show with “I’ll be Home for Christmas.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 73942Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30870Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 27865Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22757Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6762Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 6400Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6313Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 6210Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5940Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 5466Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients