Time to punt the Home Run Derby?
Barry Bonds? Out of the Home Run Derby.
Junior Griffey? Out of the Home Run Derby.
Alex Rodriguez? Almost certainly out of the Home Run Derby.
Is it time we put the Derby out to pasture? Sports have a long history of auxiliary events that seem like a good idea at the onset, then lose momentum. The old HORSE and one-on-one competitions at NBA halftimes. The Superstars competition on ABC in the 1970s.
High times for a short while, then poof. The fun seemed to disappear.
So it is with the Home Run Derby. The slugfest the night before the All-Star Game was charming and entertaining for a few years. The big-timers would win.
Andre Dawson. Cal Ripken. Mark McGwire. Juan Gonzalez. Griffey. Frank Thomas. Bonds. Sammy Sosa.
Occasionally, we would see awesome moon shots. Occasionally, we would have a memorable moment.
But now, the Derby often as not is won by a Miguel Tejada or a Bobby Abreu. Now, the game’s greatest sluggers skip it.
The Home Run Derby should join with the NBA All-Star Game’s dunk contest and silently slide away.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients