Heupel the winner?
On KREF radio yesterday, Toby Rowland asked former OU quarterback Paul Thompson who on the Sooner staff would be the best head coach. Thompson said Josh Heupel.
Interesting answer. Heupel, by seniority, is on the bottom of the OU pecking order. By title, he is far down. But expect Heupel to quickly move up. Bob Stoops’ loss of Kevin Sumlin, to Houston U., opens a spot for advancement. Expect Heupel, OU’s quarterback coach, to move up to co-offensive coordinator.
I thought if Kevin Wilson got a head-coaching job this year, Heupel would be the choice, even above Sumlin, to be OU’s next offensive coordinator. Stoops hired Mike Leach as his offensive coordinator in 1998 and has subsequently had to hire three more o-coordinators. All came from in-house.
Mark Mangino had been offensive line coach under Leach and remained so even after becoming offensive coordinator. When Mangino left, Chuck Long became the coordinator, after serving as quarterback coach under Mangino for two years. When Long left at the end of 2005, Wilson moved up to coordinator after three years as offensive line coach.
Stoops promotes from within. That leads to continuity and good morale on the staff. Heupel is a rising star in the coaching ranks. You could tell when Heupel played that he had the mind of a coach. He will be OU’s next offensive coordinator.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients