Bailing on the BCS
West Virginia has lost its football coach for a BCS bowl, and Oklahoma has been down this road before. Mike Price resigned as Washington State’s football coach before the 2003 Rose Bowl to take the Alabama job. Price agreed to stay on for the Rose Bowl as co-head coach, with his defensive coordinator Bill Doba, who was named to replace Price.
The whole thing was a mess, and OU dominated Washington State 34-14.
Coaches who bail before BCS bowls are rare. Urban Meyer resigned at Utah in 2004 but stayed on to coach the Utes to victory over Pitt in the Fiesta Bowl. Bobby Petrino didn’t leave Louisville for the Atlanta Falcons until after the Orange Bowl against Wake Forest.
It’s scandalous that any coach walks away from his team. But it happens every bowl season. Just not very often with teams that reach the BCS.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82236Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32719Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 31236Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 27663Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 24708Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 8346Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7879Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
- 7784Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7479Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7384Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients