Introspection from Stoops
Sorry for the day off from blogging, but I traveled all day yesterday and didn’t get online until today. After I joined in on the Bob Stoops teleconference.
And Stoops again admitted that he would take a look at all aspects of the Sooners’ bowl operation. Including this: the possibility that OU isn’t emphasizing enough the importance of winning.
Stoops puts a premium on championships. He takes more pride in them than any coach I’ve ever been around. With good reason. The Big 12 title is hard to win. You’ve got a deeper team pool than in the old days of the Big Eight, plus the title-game kicker. So he should be proud.
But Stoops today admitted that maybe that same sense of urgency hasn’t carried over to the bowls. “Probably fair to say,” Stoops said this morning. “Maybe we haven’t done as great job at getting the message across. It isn’t just about winning championships, it’s about winning the bowl game.”
Stoops isn’t the only coach, or player or fan or writer or anyone else, who for some reason lessens the import of bowl games. I think bowls are terribly important. Like I’ve been saying for a month, bowls are great because they are showdown games. Remember the buildup to the Oklahoma-Alabama games? USC-Texas? Next year’s USC-Ohio State slugfest? The bowls give us a dozen of those kinds of matchups every year. Oklahoma hadn’t played West Virginia in 25 years; this Mountaineer team would have been undefeated if quarterback Pat White hadn’t been knocked out of two games. How could you possibly not be fired up about that?
Losing to West Virginia is not the end of the world. Not a sign that Stoops should blow up the building. But it is a sign that some self-inspection is necessary.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17897Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15383Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11506Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11200'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10732Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9276OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8256Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6910Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6624Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 6479Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients