A Saturday of hoops
I wrote an NFL column for Sunday’s paper, so I didn’t have a basketball assignment. I could have gone to any of the three interesting games: Texas Tech at OSU men, with Bobby Knight going for his 900th win; Kansas State at OU men, in the matchup of great freshmen; or Bedlam women, with the Cowgirls trying to beat the Sooners for the first time this century. You also had the NFL games, Green Bay-Seattle and Patriots-Jacksonville, the winners of both providing potential foes for Dallas.
I decided to stay home and watch them all. Interesting day of basketball. My thoughts:
1. OSU-Tech: When Obi Muonelo scores 21 points and make five of six 3-pointers, the Cowboys aren’t half bad. Remember last season; OSU’s swoon began when Muonelo was injured. He hasn’t played as well as a sophomore as he did as a freshman, but if can produce, then the Cowboys have James Anderson, Terrell Harris, Marcus Dove. That’s a pretty strong set of wing players. The Cowboys will still get butchered by teams good inside, but that’s not a lot of teams in the Big 12. Muonelo is key to this team.
2. OU-Kansas State: Michael Beasley is the real deal. Reminds me a little of Byron Houston as an OSU senior. A bruiser with good touch. Maybe not quite as good around the basket, but with a better mid-range shot. KSU is an absolute load with Beasley, who unlike Houston, will not be around the college game for four years. The loss for the Sooners was severe; if OU can win out at home, no sure thing considering Texas and Texas A&M still come to town, the Sooners still would have to win at least two road games to finish 9-7 in the Big 12. Thanks to the wins over Arkansas, Gonzaga and West Virginia, 9-7 should get OU in the NCAA Tournament.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7618Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7497Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6747UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients