Analyzing the Big 12 race
Wild day in Big 12 men’s basketball. Six games, and only one blowout, and that blowout came in what figured to be the game of the day, Texas A&M at Kansas State. The Wildcats rolled 75-54. Three games were decided by two points: Texas 69-67 over Colorado, Baylor 72-70 over Nebraska and OU 63-61 over Texas Tech. The other two games were superbly competitive, too: Kansas 76-70 over Missouri and Iowa State 73-66 over OSU.
It’s time to start analyzing the conference race, and the best way to do so is with a plus/minus system. Home wins and road losses are a wash. No points given or taken away. But lose at home, and it’s a minus. Win on the road, and it’s a plus. Using that system, here are the standings:
1. Kansas +2: Road wins at Missouri and Nebraska. The Jayhawks will be a threat to run the table.
2. Baylor & Kansas State +2: Don’t look now, but the Bears are for real. Their win at Nebraska makes Baylor 3-0 in the league. And Kansas State’s win at Oklahoma came with Blake Griffin healthy, so K-State clearly has separated itself into the upper echelon.
4. Texas A&M, Iowa State, Oklahoma State, Texas, Colorado, Texas Tech: all even. In regular standings, it’s good to get road games behind you. In this form of standings, the stronger teams tend to have more road games ahead of them, giving them a chance to burst ahead. A&M, OSU, Colorado and Tech all have lost two road games already, Iowa State and Texas only one.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients