A wedding rich in spirit
Saturday night, my wife and I attended one of the most unique weddings either of us had ever seen. It was a wedding of two former OU athletes, but it was not a jock-filled, sports-honored ceremony.
The wedding of Shannon Selmon and Vince Carter was rich in spirit. I was invited because I’ve gotten to know the Dewey Selmon family.
The very best thing I ever wrote was a 1995 Mother ‘s Day column on Mrs. Jessie Selmon, mother of the Selmon brothers. I sat down with her and Dewey in her Oklahoma City home, and I just let her talk, and she told me about raising her kids outside Eufaula, and it took me about 15 minutes to write the whole column. I’ve also written about Dewey’s three daughters playing basketball together on the same Norman High School team, a second coming of the Selmon III. And I wrote about the family’s adoption — spearheaded by the girls, not Dewey and his wife Kathryn — of Christiana, a Liberian refugee.
I chatted with Dewey at the wedding. He told my wife I had been adopted as “another Selmon brother,” which is the best compliment I’ll ever receive but probably not terribly unique, since Dewey’s family makes everyone feel that way. It was a marvelous wedding, not opulent, not outrageous, but full of honor towards God and family. It included a choir from the Everlasting Life Baptist Church and a ballet dance from Christiana Selmon and wonderful words from two ministers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24265Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15789Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10553Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9606Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9126Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8599Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8494Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7618Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7497Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6747UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients