More television saga
Another funny situation tonight. OU’s women are at Texas Tech, and the game is being televised by Sooner Sports Network. OU’s men are at Nebraska — a far more important and intriguing game than the women — and it’s not on TV.
I wondered why, so I asked. An OU official told me that the Sooners tried to get the Nebraska game on television here in Oklahoma, but Nebraska initially declined. That’s NU’s right, but it makes no sense. Showing the game here wouldn’t affect the crowd in Lincoln. OU was told it something about space for announcers, which seems rather flimsy. The Big 12 has a sort of gentleman’s agreement that allows schools to televise road games, the official said, but Nebraska didn’t follow through.
Later, Nebraska said it was going to televise the game and OU could pick up the feed, but that didn’t happen, either. Meanwhile, Tech officials said fine, televise the women’s game. So there you have it.
And while I’m griping, how about a thumbs down on these ESPNU telecasts. That’s the network that carried OSU-Missouri on Tuesday night, and I don’t have ESPNU. I see no reason to pay for a network I’m going to want to watch three times a year. Same as the NFL Network. Let’s see. OU-Texas women the other day, and OU-Colorado men, and now OSU-Missouri men have been on ESPU. That’s the sum total of my desire to watch ESPNU.
I’m not paying extra for that. I’ve got the money. It’s not about the money. It’s about the principle. Keep adding all these tiers of cable channels, and it will never stop.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients