If the Big 12 race ended today, OU would be seeded seventh for the conference tournament. And the Sooners might be going down instead of up.
OU’s malaise continued with its second straight 45-point performance, a 62-45 loss at Nebraska, on the heels of a 63-45 loss at Texas. OU wasn’t very good in the game before that, needing a miracle finish to beat Baylor 92-91 in overtime at Lloyd Noble Center.
Truth of the matter is, OU is riding its strong December — victories over Arkansas, Gonzaga and West Virginia — in its NCAA Tournament bid. In conference, the Sooners have shown to be mediocre and unworthy of the NCAAs. But the good news is, that non-conference swing carries weight. OU will not be judged solely on its Big 12 finish.
If the Sooners can get to 8-8, they’ve got a shot at the NCAAs. But go 7-9, and no way. That’s why the Texas A&M game at LNC is huge. The Aggies are a kooky team. Play great for a stretch, then stumble for awhile. Get hot again, go cold. A&M beat Texas Tech by 44 points Wednesday night, so it would appear the Aggies are back on track. If they beat OU on Saturday, it will be the Sooners who will be labeled cold. Cold and on the outside looking in at an NCAA Tournament bid.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients