Sooners get a good draw
OU’s No. 6 seed is a very good draw for the Sooners. Look at it this way. At the end of the day, there wasn’t a dime’s worth of difference in the Big 12 standings between Kansas State, OU, Baylor and Texas A&M, which were seeded 3-4-5-6 in the Big 12 Tournament. KSU finished 10-6 in conference, but the others were 9-7, and KSU had the easier road because it was in the North.
Yet the NCAA seeds for those Big 12 teams were: 6-OU; 8-A&M; 11-Kansas State; 11-Baylor.
The reason is clear. Non-conference schedule. The Sooners in non-conference beat Gonzaga at the Ford Center, Arkansas at Lloyd Noble Center and West Virginia in Charleston, W.Va. They also lost to Memphis in New York, USC in Los Angeles and Stephen F. Austin in Norman. SFA turned out to be a solid team, which means that wasn’t a bad loss. A tough schedule carried the Sooners.
As for the seed, though, OU isn’t much better off. Here are the opponents of the Big 12 quartet below Kansas and Texas: Purdue, USC, BYU and St. Joseph’s. You’d probably rather draw Brigham Young or St. Joe’s, but any more, a 6-11 matchup is about as much a tossup as the 7-10 and 8-9 draws.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 77840Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16227OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13741Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12057Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11953Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 11115Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 11023Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 9407How to help tornado victims
- 8455Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8294Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients