Bracketing the field of 64
Be sure and grab an Oklahoman on Monday morning. We are producing a 64-coach bracket to help Mike Holder select an Oklahoma State basketball coach.
This is a lot of fun and something we did when the OU job was open two years ago. Of course, we can be thrown a curveball. Two years ago, Jeff Capel’s name somehow didn’t make the field. Talk about your stealth candidates. Capel was 31 at the time, and I figured no way Joe Castiglione would go for someone so young. But he did.
So we’re taking another stab at it, and it’s a fun way to think about what kind of coach OSU might hire. Established winner? Up-and-comer? OSU ties?
All kinds of things go into the selections, as it does in real life with Holder and the candidates. Who might be interested in the job? Who might Holder be interested in? What are the factors: age, money, name recognition?
My guess: OSU will shoot the moon and work its way down. That’s what Mike Montgomery said two years ago, when he was coaching the Golden State Warriors (about to be fired; I don’t know if he knew but everyone else did) and we asked him about his interest in the OU job. He was insulted at the question, but he did say something interesting. He said everyone does a coaching search the same way. They start with Adolph Rupp and work their way down.
I assume that means OSU will start with Bill Self and work its way down.
Who will the Cowboys choose? Probably have to wait a week or so. But who will we choose? Check out the Monday Oklahoman.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 16150OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 14605Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 10995Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 9399Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 9121'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 8921Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 7695Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7584Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 7477Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7078Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients