Reid no Gundy fan
Perhaps you’ve read the story in ESPN the Magazine in which Bobby Reid voices his displeasure with OSU coach Mike Gundy. It’s very interesting. I recommend it.
Gundy, of course, came to Reid’s defense last September with his infamous rant, after Jenni Carlson’s Oklahoman column questioned Reid’s toughness and said that was the primary reason Reid lost his quarterback job to Zac Robinson.
Lost in the media crush of last autumn was this obvious truth: Gundy had not so much come to Reid’s defense as thrown Reid under the bus. No matter what you thought of Carlson’s column, or how much you think the media could use a good upbraiding, the net effect of the rant was this.
Jenni Carlson that Saturday morning told the state of Oklahoma that OSU coaches thought Reid was soft. Mike Gundy that Saturday night told the whole world the same thing. Gundy’s rant put a massive spotlight on the column — and Reid’s demotion — that otherwise would have remained in the shadows.
Now, some of Reid’s assertions are silly. He and his mother told ESPN that they believe Gundy deliberately produced the rant as a way to embarrass Reid. That’s nonsense, of course. I sat there, 10 feet from Gundy. That wasn’t a performance. That was raw emotion. Misplaced emotion, but real.
The real story about Bobby Reid is this. Good quarterback. Very good quarterback. Just not as good as Zac Robinson. We saw that for ourselves. The Cowboy coaches made the right call in switching. Maybe Reid is soft, maybe he’s not. But he’s not the quarterback that Zac Robinson is.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 12576OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 6843Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6546Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 5838Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 4955Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4777Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 4210Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 3961OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3936As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients