Quite a week in Oklahoma
This is shaping up to be quite the historic week in Oklahoma. On Friday, the NBA board of governors is expected to vote — and approve — the Sonics’ relocation request to Oklahoma City. Also this week, OSU is expected to hire a basketball coach, which could prove to be a major event on the sports landscape.
You never know. I suppose the Sonic deal still could fall through. But I don’t see how. Seattle has turned desperate; the emails subpoenaed from Clay Bennett and Co. for the court case are more embarrassing than anything. They are designed to try to turn the NBA against Bennett. They won’t really affect the court case; the Sonics figured to lose the case anyway. Seattle’s ploy is to make the NBA say, let’s hold on and rethink this leaving-Seattle thing. I don’t think it will work. I think Seattle probably is doing nothing more than further alienating the league, asking for franchise financial records.
And you never know about a basketball coach. In retrospect, it was an historic day when Eddie Sutton was hired. Not so big when Guy Strong and Jim Killingsworth were hired in the ’70s. Heck, it’s too early to tell how monumental of a day it was at OU when Jeff Capel was hired. It was a sport-changing event when Billy Tubbs was hired, and no small thing when Kelvin Sampson was hired. It will all have to play out.
But certainly Mike Holder seems intent on a major hire, so it figures to be a major day in Stillwater, a day that could change basketball in this part of the country.
So it’s going to be quite a week in Oklahoma. Major-league status and a new coach that could define the Holder era.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7978Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients