Point guards rule
Played point guard at a tradition-rich power. Made the Final Four. Son of a fairly prominent basketball man, at least regionally. Grew up in a basketball-crazy state. Got a college head coaching job in his 20s. Did a decent job — not spectacular — at a solid mid-major and it earned him a ticket to the Big 12, our state in particular.
Travis Ford? Yes. Jeff Capel? Yes.
Amazing similarities between the hires at Oklahoma State this week and Oklahoma two Aprils ago.
Ford was the Kentucky point guard in 1993, when the Wildcats made the Final Four and lost to Michigan’s Fab Five when they were sophomores. His dad is Eddie Ford, who runs Kentucky HoopFest, a huge summer tournament in Louisville that is really unlike anything we’ve got here. Kentucky, remember, is basketball country. Ford became a head coach at Campbellsville, an NAIA school in Kentucky, at the age of 28. He grew up in Kentucky bluegrass. He has coached in only one NCAA Tournament game but has Massachusetts up and running on its way back to being a player in the solid Atlantic 10 Conference.
Capel was the Duke point guard in 1994, when the Blue Devils lost the NCAA title game to Arkansas on that great shot by Scotty Thurman. His dad is Jeff Capel II, former head coach at Old Dominion and North Carolina A&T. Capel III became the head coach at Virginia Commonwealth at the age of 27. He grew up on Carolina’s Tobacco Road. Capel had coached in only one NCAA Tournament game but had VCU on solid footing in the underrated Colonial Athletic Conference.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 100558Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15302OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13338Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8709Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8075Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8036How to help tornado victims
- 7986Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6703Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6459Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5978Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients