Excitement in Stillwater
I’m headed to Stillwater today to do something I’ve never done before. Cover an OSU baseball regional at Reynolds Stadium.
When the Cowboys were riding high and annually (almost) hosting a regional, I was covering OU baseball in the spring. In the ’90s, when I joined the Oklahoman, the Cowboys sort of got out of the business of hosting. I went to Lubbock in 1996 and covered OSU in that regional, and the Cowboys zoomed to Omaha, in Gary Ward’s last year, with victories over USC (twice), Fresno State and Arkansas.
But OSU hasn’t hosted since 1997, and I was at the Women’s College World Series instead.
I’m looking forward to Reynolds Stadium. In the old days, it always rocked for Bedlam or a big conference series. Should be rocking tonight, when OSU hosts Western Kentucky as the Cowboys begin the road to the College World Series.
Baseball once was huge in Stillwater but that status has slipped a little. Not a lot, but a little. Crowds are down since the Ward days. Titles are fewer. That could be changing under Frank Anderson, and success in the regional is a good start.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 13567Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 12400Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6766Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients