Keep Sutton’s signature
Eddie Sutton said Monday night he would be surprised if OSU removed his signature from the Gallagher-Iba Arena court. I would be surprised, too, and just contemplating it was a very unwise PR move.
Eddie Sutton Court is in need of a paint job, so that’s always a good time to make any changes in color and style. So OSU came up with eight options, and some include the removal of Sutton’s signature. Not his name, which would be somewhere in all eight options. But his signature remaining on the court is not a certainty.
It should be. The controversy surrounding Sean Sutton’s removal as coach drove a wedge between the Suttons and OSU, with fans divided as well. The wedge was unavoidable but still regrettable. To pound a hammer on that wedge WAS avoidable.
Even if we all agree that the Sutton signature is too large or too garish — I don’t necessarily think so on either case — this is no time to be pondering removal. The wounds are too fresh. If nothing else, delay the whole danged paint job a year.
Far too many college basketball courts are mosaics. Too much color, too much wild patterns, too many huge logos. Eddie Sutton Court was not on that list. You can say the lane color scheme — blending from orange to black — was not stylish and you can dislike the Pistol Pete logos out on the extended wing and you can lament the 21st-century OSU logo at midcourt. Those are art issues worth discussing.
But removing Eddie Sutton’s signature is not a topic that should be on this table. Not now.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24523Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15852Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10645Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9696Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 9156Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8753Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 8578Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7656Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 7634Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6870UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients