Beasley to OKC? I don’t see it
We keep talking about a Michael Beasley to Oklahoma City scenario, and I don’t see it. Such is life when you have the No. 4 pick in a three-player draft.
Oh, the NBA draft tonight is deeper than three players, but in the weeks since the lottery, the one consistent thread has been the elevation of O.J. Mayo into the previously two-man inner sanctum inhabited by Beasley and Derrick Rose.
The speculation that the Miami Heat might somehow pass on Beasley and take Mayo has merit. But how in the heck would the Timberwolves then pass on Beasley. That’s ludicrous. And if the Heat took Beasley with the intention of trading him, again, how would Minnesota pass on Mayo?
The T-Wolves are destitute at just about every position except power forward, where they have Al Jefferson. And while Beasley is an unorthodox power forward — not that tall, but a heck of a shooter — you don’t pass on a guy like Beasley. You draft him and make it work.
The Sonics almost surely will have to settle for someone just outside the Big Three, and my vote goes to Arizona point guard Jerryd Bayless. They say he’s not a true point guard, not yet anyway, but think of how little basketball he’s actually played that’s counted. Thirty-odd games in college. AAU ball that doesn’t count at all in developing team attributes, only individual skills. Plus high school, where he played maybe 100 games.
In other words, Bayless will accumulate virtually as much real experience in his rookie year as he has in his basketball life. Maybe he’s not a Chris Paul point guard and never will be. But why can’t he excel as a shoot-first point guard.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients