Adrian makes for happy campers
I spent Thursday at the Adrian Peterson Football Camp and came away with a slightly higher appreciation for football camps. Because of Peterson.
Football camps are largely silly. Football camps are like football practice, in that no way they can be fun. When you go to baseball practice, you basically play baseball. Hit, field, throw. When you go to basketball practice, you mostly play basketball. But when you go to football practice, you don’t do much football playing.
Peterson’s camp contained a lot of stations with kids going through drills that will help for footwork and technique and cause a 9-year-old to scream out in boredom. Later in the morning, the camp broke up into 7-on-7 games, which was a lot more entertaining for the campers.
Thus the dilemma of a football camp. To learn football, you can’t have any fun. To have fun, you won’t learn anything.
So what’s the value? Peterson, I’d say. Adrian went all over the camp, working with the kids, clowning around, saying hello. He took a break to do a media bit, but otherwise, he was with the kids.
Which had to be pleasing to the campers. The truth was these kids, who seemed to range in age from seven or eight to maybe 12, didn’t come to OU’s intramural fields to learn football. They came to get as close to Adrian Peterson as possible.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients