No feel yet for Big Bowl
I’ve been in Fort Lauderdale for more than 24 hours now, and talked to a dozen participants in the Big Bowl, and still I’ve got no feel for the Big Bowl. OU blowout? Florida blowout? Classic?
I have no idea. I don’t know how this game will go. I picked the Gators 35-34, for no other reason than fool me twice. The Sooners’ Fiesta Bowl performances the last two seasons have been so shoddy, maybe there is something to the bowl slump.
Or maybe not. Maybe it’s just that weird things happen in bowls. And in title games. The truth is, the BCS title game has replaced the Super Bowl as America’s great blowout.
LSU-Ohio State? Florida-Ohio State? USC-Oklahoma? Miami-Nebraska? Four of the last seven championship games have been over by halftime.
Could this one? You always doubt it, but you never know.
But several things puzzle me. I just can’t accept the notion that Florida is faster than Oklahoma. Maybe it’s true. But decades of watching the Sooners match any speed in America makes me hesitant to buy it. Then I think back to West Virginia, which in the Fiesta obviously outran Oklahoma, and here we go again.
Let me say this about Florida. All the talk about defensive arrogance appeared to be empty. Six Gator defenders met with the media Saturday, and none talked smack. All were confident, but none were dismissive of OU. In fact, I thought they were very complimentary of the Sooner offense. There was none of that “SEC defense” stuff. Truth is, the quotes that Oklahomans clung to as a sign that Florida claimed superiority were mostly empty.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15818Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 15704Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11547Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 11243'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10839Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 9666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 7447Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6917Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6738Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 6691Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients