Spreading out all over South Florida
If you’ve been reading our stories on the Oklahoma-Florida game, you’ve been seeing a lot of different datelines. I know it has to be confusing. So I thought I would explain.
MIAMI — This is the big place, of course, but relatively little has taken place in Miami proper. The Sooners flew into Miami’s airport, so the arrival stories were set here. Nothing else.
MIAMI BEACH — This is the famed incorporated city that stretches thinly out from Miami, with Biscayne Bay on the west and the Atlantic on the east. South Beach is here. Jackie Gleason’s theater is here. And the Fontainebleau Hotel, home of OU’s Orange Bowl trips since the 1950s, is here. Any story stemming from OU’s hotel had a Miami Beach dateline.
FORT LAUDERDALE — Media headquarters is at the Marriott Harbor Beach on this other resort spot. Fort Lauderdale has become a huge city in its own right. Three pre-game press conferences are held in Fort Lauderdale.
MIAMI SHORES — OU’s practice facility, at Barry University, is here. It’s just a suburban municipality, same as a Moore or a Choctaw.
MIAMI GARDENS — This is home to Dolphin Stadium, and it didn’t exist until recently. Dolphin Stadium was built in an unincorporated area. Most people called the stadium in Miami. But several census-designated places that wanted better representation consolidated and incorporated. Places like Andover, Opa-Locka North and Carol City, the latter of which produced former OU nose guard Johnny Lewis in the 1970s. Anyway, the new city was named Miami Gardens.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 82322Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14350Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8268Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7560Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 7513How to help tornado victims
- 6279Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5999Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5884Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5788Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 5685OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients