Unsung heroes of Florida’s victory
Amid all the Tim Tebow/Sam Bradford talk, the unsung heroes of Florida’s victory over Oklahoma was the Gator secondary. Think how rare a Sooner receiver ran free.
Bradford completed his share of passes — 26 of 41 for 256 yards — but the Sooner receivers had to work for their catches. Little dump passes out in the flat were open most of the night, but nothing else.
Throw it deep? Well covered; Bradford landed a couple of balls with perfect accuracy that were knocked away.
Throw it short? Florida defenders converged like peace officers responding to a 9-1-1.
I thought Florida’s pass rush would be the key, and it was important. The Gators sacked Bradford twice and flushed him some other times. But Florida’s pass coverage was outstanding.
“Our defense always feels like we have to make a stand,” said sophomore DB Joe Haden. “They have a great offense. We like challenges. We like playing against good offenses. We like to show how good of a defense we are. Playing against them was proving how good we are.”
Case closed. Florida’s defense indeed proved that the title of SEC defense packs a wallop. The SEC defense stared down the Big 12 offense. And the prime reason was pass coverage.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22453Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 12179Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 10764Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9050Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8838Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8708Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 8233Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7793Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7164Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 7066UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients