Who Will Turn Pro for OU?
People ask me every day who will leave for the NFL out of Soonerville, and the truth is, all the prime candidates likely are to turn pro.
That doesn’t mean the entire quartet — Sam Bradford, G.K. McCoy, Jermaine Gresham and Trent Williams — will jump. But the odds that any of the four will stay are not strong.
Just too much money, too much opportunity, to stay. As much as fans and media romanticize college football, it’s not Utopia for players. The NFL is — with a paycheck and no school and no one off the gridiron telling you what to do.
Bob Stoops like to talk economics about early entry for the draft, and on some things he’s right. On some things, not.
I don’t know if Gresham can climb too far up the draft list if he stays. Tight ends are not a precious commodity.
McCoy probably could, depending on how high he might go this year. If McCoy’s outside the top 10, he could probably make more next year, barring injury.
Williams probably could, too, but Bradford, probably not.
What does it all mean? Here’s my list of Sooners most likely to go pro, from most likely to least likely.
1. Gresham. He’s an NFL body already.
2. Bradford. You just can’t pass up a chance to go in the top five of the draft.
3. Williams. I’m not sure he wants to be alone on the OU line next year.
4. McCoy. If anyone comes back, I think it might be Gerald, just for personal reasons as much as anything.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients