Heupel not likely to go to Minnesota
Josh Heupel could someday be the head football coach at the University of Minnesota. Wouldn’t be a total reach.
And here’s how Heupel can best get there, or at least be in position, if that’s a job he’s like: Stay at Oklahoma.
Northern reports have said Minnesota coach Tim Brewster is interested in or has offered the job of offensive coordinator to Heupel, OU’s quarterback coach.
Gophersports.com first reported the interest and had this line: “It would make sense for Heupel to consider leaving for a better position at Minnesota, because he could be losing (Sam) Bradford to the NFL this year.”
Two things. 1. Losing Bradford is no consideration. The Sooner offensive staff was successful before Sammy B.’s arrival and will remain so after his departure. 2. Minnesota offensive coordinator is not a better job than Oklahoma quarterback coach.
There’s a lot better chance of success as OU’s quarterback coach than Minny’s offensive coordinator. It’s a more prestigious position, too. Does Heupel, or anyone else, want to call plays that bad?
Look at it this way. If Heupel already was the Minnesota offensive coordinator, I think Bob Stoops could hire him away with the lure of the quarterback-coach job.
And as for the theory that Heupel would be returning to his home area — he grew up in Aberdeen, S.D., reportedly a Minnesota fan — in case you haven’t noticed, Oklahoma is Heupel’s home.
This is where he played and starred in college. This is where he set up his foundation. This is where his sister went to school and met OU President David Boren’s son, whom she married and whom now is a U.S. House representative. This is where his dad moved (Muskogee) to go into business.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 98297Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16555OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13177Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8674Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8399Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8073How to help tornado victims
- 7770Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6639Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6423Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients