Caroline Kennedy: Good news for OU
Caroline Kennedy has withdrawn her name from U.S. Senate consideration, which means she wasn’t going to get picked, and that could be good news for OU football.
OK, it’s a stretch. But follow along. This theory makes a certain amount of sense.
Kennedy has been mentioned for two positions: Hillary Clinton’s New York Senate seat and diplomat to the Court of St. James, which is ambassador to the United Kingdom.
Kennedy seems a quality choice for St. James Palace, which is a far less controversial appointment than the Senate.
But if JFK’s daughter had been sent to Capitol Hill, who might have been the next-most likely choice for London?
How about David Boren? The OU president was a Rhodes Scholar, remember, and there are worse assignments than ambassador to Merry Old England.
I don’t know of any reason why Boren would be tired of the self-proclaimed dream job he’s now held almost 15 years. But OU has undergone a remarkable transformation in Boren’s time; it’s a job well done, and if he’s looking for one last adventure in his political career, Great Britain could provide it.
Remember last spring, when Boren broke from his norm and endorsed Barack Obama in the Democrat race. Boren has mostly steered clear of politics since returning from Washington, so why would he endorse a candidate who was not popular among Oklahoma Democrats and had no chance of carrying the state in the general election?
Perhaps because his endorsement could carry some weight nationally — Boren remains a well-respected Democrat across America – and maybe it never hurts to be owed a favor by the soon-to-be leader of the free world.
Obama could appoint Boren to the Court of St. James and end an astounding run at OU. The Sooners have had the same president, athletic director and football coach since December 1998.
That kind of stability is rare in collegiate athletics. That kind of stability keeps Bob Stoops content, knowing the people he will be working with.
It’s good for OU that someone like Caroline Kennedy remains in the running for the Court of St. James.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6964Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6671Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6451Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients