Special season for Sooner sports
We’ve passed Valentine’s Day, so the school sports calendar is 51/2 months old. And the three primary sports at OU, the three sports that draw the biggest crowds, are a combined 59-5.
That’s ridiculous. The football team went 12-2, played for a national championship and finished fifth in the polls. Jeff Capel’s men’s basketball team is 25-1, ranked second nationally and headed for a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament. Sherri Coale’s Sooner women are 22-2, ranked second and also headed for a No. 1 seed.
OU has had some sensational school years. In 2001-02, both basketball teams reached the Final Four, and the football team went 11-2 and finished No. 6 in the polls. In 1987-88, both Barry Switzer’s football team and Billy Tubbs’ basketballers played in national-title games (both lost), but the women’s basketball team was a non-factor regionally, much less nationally.
But this school year is just silly good. Five losses by mid-February? This is a special season for all things Sooner. An NCAA championship in basketball — a longshot for the women, since UConn seems dominant; a possibility for the men, since no clear-cut favorite exists — would lift this athletic season to the greatest in school history, and it might deserve that distinction anyway.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24594Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 16991Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10679OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 9258Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7954Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7390UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 6889Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5783Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5259Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4425Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients