Don’t count out OSU from NCAA berth
Three Big 12 men’s teams — Oklahoma, Kansas and Missouri — are assured of NCAA Tournament berths. All are ranked in the top 15, all have 20 wins already and all have five losses or fewer.
But who else will make the NCAA from the Big 12? Here is the current standings, throwing OU, KU and Mizzou, plus Colorado, Iowa State and Texas Tech, which have no hope of being invited:
Kansas State 17-8, 6-5: current RPI 76
Texas 17-8, 6-5: current RPI 40
Nebraska 15-8, 5-5: current RPI 64
Oklahoma State 15-9, 4-6: current RPI 38
Texas A&M 18-8, 4-7: current RPI 52
Baylor 16-9, 4-7: current RPI 54
Any team that sinks into double-digit losses is playing with fire, and by Selection Sunday, all the other Big 12 hopefuls will be into double-digit defeats, with few sporting any kind of momentum.
OK, to guess what will happen down the stretch, let’s assume a few things. Let’s say any time these six hopefuls play each other, the home team wins. Any time they play one of the top three, they lose. Any time they play one of the bottom three, they win. Of course, every game won’t play out that way, but it’s not a bad place to start. And it’s giving the six teams the benefit of the doubt, since it’s more likely that they would lose at home to an OU, KU or Missouri than they would win at a Colorado, Iowa State to Tech.
Anyway, if that scenario plays out, here are the records going into the Big 12 Tournament:
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14038Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 9697OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6648Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5284Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 5183Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 5164OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5129Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3755Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 3751Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3590As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients