No Simmons at UW
In our Stoops @10 series, we’re running a story Friday on the stability of Bob Stoops’ staff. No assistant on Stoops’ staff has been fired. Few coaches can say that. University of Washington coach Tyrone Willingham certainly can’t.
Willingham fired Bob Simmons last December. Simmons will not be on the Husky staff that duels OU on Sept. 13. Simmons spent three years with Willingham in Seattle and three years on Willingham’s Notre Dame staff. Yet Simmons and defensive coordinator Kent Baer were made scapegoats after Washington’s 4-9 season in 2007.
Seattle media reported Simmons’ firing as unexpected. But Willingham’s move was not unique. Sacrificing assistants to appease disgruntled administrators and boosters is common in college football.
Simmons has not returned to college football and at age 59 might not.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients