Dialing in an NBA nickname
Anything I write about the NBA nickname only spurs more talk about nicknames. The good stuff I get from emails, I share. But sometimes, people pick up the phone and to tell me live what they think.
I got seven phone calls today from people suggesting nicknames, and to be honest, I forgot what one of them suggested. But the other six I wrote down. Some have been discussed before.
Chiefs, which I can’t endorse, since the Kansas City football team has it, and if you’re going to copy another major-league franchise’s name, it needs to be a ballteam on the other side of the country. KC is not that far away.
Okies, which I can’t endorse, since it would offend at least half the Oklahomans who still see it as a derisive term from the Dust Bowl. And the other half thinks it’s silly.
Sky. Oklahoma City Sky. Sorry, but it makes you run back to Thunder.
Arrows. Not awful, but not very good. I don’t see it as being germane to Oklahomans.
Mustangs. Good. Very good. It’s not going to win, but I like it. Good and solid. Ties in with the horse industry and with the Ford Center. Excellent option.
But a new nominee has arrived, which has no chance of winning but is at least interesting. Wrath. Oklahoma City Wrath. Singular. Abstract. Everything a nickname is not supposed to be. But it ties in with John Steinbeck and makes you think. I don’t vote for Wrath. But it’s not the worst name on the list.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 64632Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14648Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8984Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7016Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6971How to help tornado victims
- 6471Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6275Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5865Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5834Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 5724Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients