OSU football: Great win in Seattle
We talked all week about how much was on the line for OSU in its Seattle game against Washington State. Much of that analysis focused on what would happen if the Cowboys lost. But here’s the benefit to playing such season openers: What if you win?
That’s exactly where OSU finds itself. Look at what the Cowboys gained from beating Wazoo 39-13 at Qwest Field. Confidence. Momentum. A victory to add to their already-established five sure wins.
This season suddenly looks different for State. Barring calamity, OSU will get off to a 5-0 start. I lumped Texas A&M in among OSU’s four tossup games this year; the most winnable of the four, but still a tossup. After Saturday, when Arkansas State beat A&M and OSU rolled, we have to adjust. I would make it six automatic wins, plus the victory over Washington State, and OSU is on track for seven wins, minimum.
The tossup games remain at Colorado and home against Oklahoma, which are the two toughest tossups on the original list. So it will remain difficult to get to 8-4 or 9-3. But still possible, especially if the Cowboys improve from was established in Seattle as a solid performance threshold.
Here’s more reason for optimism. Saturday, only two BCS-league schools won on the road. Southern Cal and OSU. Wake Forest did it, too, on Thursday, and as I post this, Kentucky looks like it will win at Louisville. But still, that’s good company for OSU.
2008 suddenly looks much more promising.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients