Crazy week nearing an end
This was one of the crazier weeks ever around The Oklahoman sports department. Typical October week, except history kept dissecting everything we did.
It was like Oklahoma City itself, which once was served by highways 66 and 77, then all of a sudden — Boomtown! — here came Interstates 40, 35 and 44.
I know those freeways weren’t built overnight, and the events that came calling this week weren’t built overnight, but they blossomed at almost the same time:
1. The Thunder nears its opener, next week at the Ford Center. That means this Sunday comes our special preview section, appropriately named “Boomtown.” The writers had to have their stories turned in last week, but the editors and page designers had to work into this week producing this section. Plus we all are in the midst of planning next week for the historic opener against Milwaukee.
2. OSU-Texas has turned into college football’s game of the week. The Cowboys’ ascension, No. 6 in AP this week, prompted us to produce the special four-page preview in Friday’s Oklahoman. We called it Red River II; I nominated “Red River, Too” because I thought captured the spirit that this OSU-Texas game rivals some of the great OU-Texas matchups in terms of national importance. But the best name I heard was “Orange Bowl.” I think I’ll steal that for my Sunday column on the OSU-Texas game. Anyway, the extra coverage on the Cowboys added to the week’s demands, though it was well worth it.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 43037Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15155Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9718Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 8776Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8708Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7875Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 7675Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7121Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6968Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5760Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients