Thunder: sometimes ignored, sometimes not
Driving home from the Thunder opener Wednesday night, I listened to ESPN radio. It focused on the World Series, of course, but also gave extensive NBA roundups.
The Thunder-Milwaukee game was not high on the list. In fact, less was said about OKC-Milwaukee than any other game. It was the last score given, and only the score was given.
ESPN’s SportsCenter, after the Laker-Clipper game, was more kind to Oklahoma City’s history-making night. The Thunder-Bucks game wasn’t the first NBA news of the show, but the OKC debut was spotlighted fairly early, by former Tulsa sportscaster John Anderson, who referred to Oklahoma’s great status in college football this season but also noted the state’s hoops heritage, listing names from Tisdale to Iba. Then ESPN showed highlights of the Thunder, which was sporting since there were very few.
And earlier Wednesday, perhaps the national benefit of having an NBA franchise was displayed. On ESPN radio, Mike Tirico and Michele Tafoya chatted in early afternoon, and Tafoya wondered about the Thunder nickname, saying it seemed to fit better in Seattle, and Tirico said not necessarily, that more rain doesn’t mean more thunder. And their show’s producer came on and said he had a source in Oklahoma weather that said Oklahoma clearly had more thunderstorms than Seattle.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17441Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13900OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11725'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11253Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8882Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7879Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7323Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7059Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6837Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients