TV ratings: OU-Nebraska rates No. 2
Did you see where Texas Tech-Texas outdrew OU-Nebraska in the Oklahoma City television market Saturday night? The games went head to head, and UT-Tech drew a 21.9 rating on ABC, OU-NU a 21.6 on ESPN.
I don’t know what that means, but it’s interesting. Non-cable games always have an edge on cable games, but still, I’ve never seen an OU game lose out to anything.
There were extenuating circumstances.
1. The UT-Tech game was of utmost importance to every football fan in the state. OU fans, OSU fans, college fans in general.
2. OU-Nebraska was a rout; 21-0 within five minutes, 35-0 after one quarter. Thousands of OU fans no doubt switched channels.
3. UT-Tech was a great finish and lasted longer, so even die-hard Sooners could watch the end. The final 45 minutes of UT-Tech drew a 33.2 rating.
But Saturday was an example of the slightly-changing market. OSU-Iowa State on Saturday afternoon drew a 21.3 on ABC. Again, non-cable telecasts have an advantage, and OSU-ISU wasn’t going against Tech-Texas, but nevertheless that’s an excellent trend for the Cowboys, that they can pull a number almost the equal of the Sooners.
It’s also a sign that viewers might be a little more discriminating than in the past. Maybe the public’s tolerance for blowouts is waning. We can only hope.
One more thing on the TV ratings. The Thunder drew a paltry 0.4 Saturday night for its game at Houston. And you know what? That’s not an awful number. I didn’t know the Thunder could draw that many people against all that college football.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17348Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 13445OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 11653'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 11177Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 8712Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7813Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 7268Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7021Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 7006Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6811Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients