Stoops: Not loud, not proud
What’s behind Bob Stoops’ declaration that OU fans’ noise level is inferior to a lot of places?
Gamesmanship? Motivation? Sudden revelation? The cold hard truth?
I think Stoops was trying his best to turn Owen Field into a jet runway Saturday night against Texas Tech.
OU fans aren’t the zaniest in college football, but I think Stoops went a little overboard in saying they had little or no effect on the Sooners’ remarkable home record (59-2) the last 10 years.
In fact, Stoops in the past has complimented the fans for their contribution in certain victories. So he can’t have it both ways.
Stoops hacked off some fans, no doubt about it. That was a stark statement Stoops made Tuesday, that Florida’s fans were much better than OU’s, at least in this regard. That’s hard to hear for Sooner fans; I assume it was hard to say for Stoops.
Some fans have rallied around Stoops’ statement, saying the stadium does need to rock more.
I haven’t been to every stadium in America. Of the ones I’ve been to, I suppose I would vote Tennessee’s Neyland Stadium the loudest.
Alabama was loud. Texas A&M and Nebraska are loud. Oregon was loud. Texas was loud for that OSU game in October. All of them louder than OU? I couldn’t say that.
I tend to think noise is overrated in outdoor venues. Loud is loud. The difference between Owen Field and A&M’s Kyle Field isn’t much, if any.
I think Stoops was trying to scratch for every advantage he could find Saturday night. I think he probably cost himself some popularity with the Sooner fan base. And I think that’s a tradeoff he’d probably make again.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26979Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17115Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9403UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 8599Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 7948Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 7430OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 6562Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6162Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 6113Tom Ward out as SandRidge CEO
- 6077Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients