Did Mack Brown deserve Big 12 coaching honors?
The coaches all-Big 12 football team was interesting on two fronts, and I’m not even counting the goofy format of the team.
Thirty spots and 29 players on first team? Six offensive linemen, but not Jon Cooper, the team’s offensive lineman of the year? OU fullback Matt Clapp, a part-time player, on first team? The format is a joke, a monument to indecision.
But forget that. The team is fascinating for two decisions the coaches did make.
1. Quarterback. OU’s Sam Bradford was first team and offensive player of the year. Isn’t that clearly a Heisman Trophy referendum? Bradford’s chief rivals for the most treasured hardware in sports appear to be Florida QB Tim Tebow and Texas QB Colt McCoy. The Big 12 coaches have stated their case on Bradford and McCoy.
2. OU’s Bob Stoops and Tech’s Mike Leach were voted co-coaches of the year. Huh? How could the coaches possibly not include Texas’ Mack Brown in that group, if not elevate him to solo status as coach of the year? UT in the preseason was picked second in the South, but the ‘Horns were considered a lot closer to the pack than they were to the favored Sooners.
Texas was 11th in the AP preseason poll, one spot ahead of Tech, and well behind OU and Missouri. From third in the Big 12 pecking order to third in the current BCS, yet Brown gets no love from his colleagues.
And the coaches all-Big 12 team further proves Brown’s coaching job this year. OU had nine first-team selections. Texas had four.
The Big 12 coaches sent a clear message about Mack Brown. I’m not sure what that message is, but it’s disappointing. Mack Brown and staff have done a better coaching job than Stoops and staff in 2008. The evidence is clear.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3685College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3424Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3280Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients