Beware the Gator bait
Uh-oh. Our man Jake Trotter, in greater Orlando for the college football awards show Thursday night, reported that OU quarterback Sam Bradford was greeted with chants of “Gator bait” from Florida fans as he arrived at the gala.
Interesting. Perhaps LSU doesn’t have a corner on the worst fans in college football.
In New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl five years ago, OU fans were subjected to miserable treatment in the days leading up to the game. Anyone wearing red was taunted with “Tiger bait” comments. Sometimes said with a sly grin, sometimes with derision. LSU fans — some of them, not all — offered street greetings of a more crude nature.
It got old really quickly, Sooner fans report. It’s one thing to go to the ballpark and run into verbal strikes, but just trying to go to dinner or walk the streets and still be constantly confronted by LSU fans trying to instigate, I don’t know, something?
My experience with SEC fans largely has been positive. Alabama fans are world class. Tennessee’s seemed good, at the OSU-Tennessee game 13 years ago. Ole Miss, no problem. Mississippi State, well, the cowbells were annoying but I’ve been told they’ve been outlawed. Georgia, fine, too.
But LSU’s fans were awful. Bob Stoops likes to rave about Florida’s fans. But he’s talking about game day. If “Gator bait” is any indication, Florida’s fans have cast their lot. They stand on the wrong side of class, with LSU.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients