How Press Taylor got his name
Of all the Pete Maravich stories I’ve received the last couple of days, this was the best. It came from Julie Taylor, wife of former Sooner safety Sherwood Taylor and mother of former Nebraska quarterback Zac Taylor.
In Friday’s Oklahoman, we ran a short story inside the section on Press Taylor, Zac’s younger brother, signing with Marshall University.
Anyway, we got a note from Julie Taylor. I’ll let her pick up the story. Sherwood and Julie Taylor attended the 1987 All-College, when Maravich was honored, just six days before his death at the age of 40.
“He is absolutely Sherwood’s hero,” Julie wrote, “and he was telling me all about him (Maravich) and his dad, Press. I was nine months pregnant at the time, and when Sherwood told me about Press (that’s also Pete’s middle name), we both just said, ‘great name if it’s a boy.’
“Fourteen days later … so the fact that Sherwood opened the paper today, saw the article about Maravich, then turned the page and saw the deal on Press, well, it was really special.”
I must say, in all the years of my existence, I have heard of two people named Press. Pistol Pete’s father and the quarterback from Norman High.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 19471Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 14514Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10937UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 9667Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8444Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7027Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 5625Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5257Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 4924Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4923Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients