Tim Duncan won’t take the bait on Capel
OU basketball coach Jeff Capel told some good stories Tuesday – all flattering — about Tim Duncan. Capel had mentioned a couple of weeks ago how Wake Forest got all the calls back in the mid-’90s, when Duncan was at Wake and Capel was at Duke.
I thought that was the height of irony — a Duke player complaining about protected officiating — but Capel says Duncan was protected and that a defender couldn’t touch Wake point guard Randolph Childress without being called for a foul.
Anyway, I busted Capel about that, and he said these days, Duke might be a protected team, because of the status of Mike Krzyzewski. But back in the ’90s, North Carolina was protected because of the status of Dean Smith. “Have you ever seen a technical foul reversed?” Capel asked. He has, on Carolina’s Rasheed Wallace, for hanging on the rim. Capel still shakes his head at the reversal.
Anyway, Capel started telling some good Duncan stories, how Duke’s game plan was to NOT make Duncan mad. One Duke-Wake game, Duke was in command, and the Duke crowd started chanting “over-rated!” Duncan, to Capel’s best memory, went from about nine points and nine rebounds with 10 minutes left to 27 points and 17 rebounds.
Another time, Duke’s Greg Newton called Duncan “soft” after a Duke-Wake game. The next time the teams played, Duncan wasn’t any more aggressive than usual. Then Kryzewski inserted Newton in the game. “Duncan had like four straight dunks,” Capel said. “I kept yelling over to the bench, ‘Get him (Newton) out! Get him out!’”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 25585Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 23461Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7978Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7892Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients