OSU baseball faces uphill climb to Big 12 Tournament
The All Sports Association is sweating out Oklahoma State’s descent to ninth place in the Big 12 baseball tournament. Of course, Cowboy fans and coach Frank Anderson’s squad are on the anxious side, too.
The top eight teams qualify, and with three weeks left in the regular season, the Cowboys face an uphill climb to get to eighth. Since OSU had a game rained out earlier in the year, and since eighth-place Texas Tech has only two series remaining while OSU has three still to play, the standings are a little harder to follow. But here’s an easy way to gauge how OSU’s hopes rest.
Go straight by the win column. When teams are under .500, the win column is the most important category. OSU right now trails Tech by three in the win column.
OSU hosts Kansas State, plays OU in the Bedlam Series and then goes to Tech. Tech goes to K-State next week, then hosts OSU.
The Cowboys have to make up three games, and since it’s unlikely (but not impossible) OSU could make up four games the next two weeks, that means Oklahoma State will have to win the series at Lubbock.
Winning at Lubbock would make up one of the three needed. So OSU needs to make up two wins the next two weeks. Beat K-State as many times as Tech does, and the Cowboys would have to win the Bedlam Series. Beat K-State one more time than does Tech, and OSU would have to win just one Bedlam game.
Another way to look at it is this. With Tech idle from Big 12 competition this week, this week is free bats for the Cowboys. Get a couple of wins, and OSU is back on Tech’s heels. Win just once this week against KSU, and OSU would have to beat OU one more time than Tech beats KSU in order to go to Lubbock not needing a sweep. Sweep the Wildcats, and we’re all even. Get swept by the Wildcats, and the situation becomes dire.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3888Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3626Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3076Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients