Ex-Sooner Nichol in another QB battle
Keith Nichol left OU after losing a quarterback derby with Sam Bradford. Of course, now we know why Nichol lost. Slingin’ Sammy is no slouch.
Anyway, Nichol left OU a year ago, transferred to Michigan State and now finds himself in another QB derby. Only this time, the decision likely won’t be made in practices or scrimmages. Michigan State coach Mark Dantonio said the Nichol/Kirk Cousins competition will spill over into games next September.
“I think what we need to do throughout their sophomore year is allow them opportunities,” Dantonio told the Lansing State Journal after the Michigan State spring game. “We’re obviously very pleased with the quarterback situation. I thought they both responded when down, both showed good leadership, both made plays.”
And both threw for four touchdowns and 357 yards. Nichol completed 20 of 28 and led the White team to a 38-37 overtime victory (overtime in the spring!). Cousins completed 29 of 43.
“This is what we see every day,” said tight end Charlie Gantt. “Both of them going at it. All day, every day.”
Nichol, a Michigan kid, was committed to Michigan State before switching to OU. He enrolled early, January 2007, and went through spring practice battling Bradford and Joey Halzle for the quarterback job. Bradford in August got the nod from Sooner coaches, with Halzle the backup.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients