Davis humbled by devotion of OU fans
I’ve written and blogged quite a bit this week about the Sunday book-signing of OU’s five national championship quarterbacks — Claude Arnold, Jimmy Harris, Steve Davis, Jamelle Holieway and Josh Heupel. The crowd was enormus, with the autograph line snaking through the little Sooner Schooner store in Norman and going out the door. The event lasted four hours.
Davis, 32-1-1 as a starter and the quarterback on the Sooners’ 1974 and 1975 national title teams, sent me a nice email, pondering the day. I thought I would share some of it with you:
“These events always humble me when I think of the devotion of the Sooner fans. Only today am I beginning to realize the full impact of the success of the those teams I was honored to lead as its QB.
“I remember as a young boy working in my grandfather’s grocery store on those glorious fall Saturday afternoons past when I would carry groceries out the back door and into the common parking lot of Farmer’s Furniture store in Sallisaw. It was there, on many occasions, where my grandfather would find me watching an OU football game and dreaming of my future. I guess, on those football Saturdays, customer service took a backseat to my passion for following my heroes.
“Last Sunday I was reminded of how devoted many OU fans are and how Oklahoma University football has impacted many lives…….they can recall events, dates, wins and losses as well as any of the five national championship QBs could today. It all makes me realize the impact of sport on our society and the passions it creates and sustains. It’s funny, I just thought I was going to spend a little time with two of my football idols (no offense to Josh or Jamelle) on a pleasant Sunday afternoon. Boy, was I mistaken.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 36528Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 32802Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 32453Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 8406Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5462OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3890Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 3494College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3313George Nigh has long been 'Four' Oklahoma
- 3240Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3193Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients