Fun times in Dallas for the OU Caravan
The Sooner Caravan in Dallas on Thursday night was a good time. Coaches, players, a little humor, a good meal, lots of optimism. You had three teams represented; one played for the national title (football), one reached the Final Four (women’s basketball), one played for a trip to the Final Four (men’s basketball).
Anyway, there were some funny moments I thought I’d pass along along.
OU tailback DeMarco Murray, with a straight face until the crowd erupted, talked about playing for a coach who played “back in the ’60s.” Bob Stoops soon enough corrected Murray, saying, “I was born in ’60. To these guys, if you’re over 25, you’re old.”
Whitney Hand talked about how the Sooners will sit in the locker room and discuss Sherri Coale’s outfits. “I need to come in five minutes earlier and talk about nothingness,” Coale said. “They’re not paying attention while I’m talking about the game plan.”
Coale talked about how much national publicity the Sooners received last season and even referred to the OU-Tennessee game, when Bobby Knight served as ESPN’s color analyst and raved about Hand. “Getting Bobby Knight to say something nice about a women’s basketball player? That isn’t easy,” Coale said. “I thought lightning was going to strike in Oklahoma City.”
And Stoops did a mea culpa on calling out the fans before the Texas Tech game, when he basically said the Sooner crowd wasn’t loud. That Tech game turned into the loudest in Owen Field history. “Anyone have fun at that game?” Stoops asked. “I sure didn’t mean to offend anybody.” Stoops said he just wanted to make sure the fans impacted that game, and “boy, did you.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88132Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 35601Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5828Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 4402Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients