Mike Berger: a practical joke remembered
Earlier this month, the Arizona Diamondbacks hired Mike Berger to replace A.J. Hinch as the organization’s director of player development. Berger was a scout for Toronto the last four seasons and has worked for Montreal, Houston, Colorado and Texas.
Oklahoma City baseball fans will remember Berger, who played in 1,038 career minor league games, as a player-coach with the 89ers almost 20 years ago.
I remember Berger for one of the crazy days in my journalism career.
Must have been about 1990, when I was sports editor of the Norman Transcript, former OU star Nick Capra returned to Oklahoma City to play for the 89ers. I sent a reporter up to All Sports Stadium to write a story on Capra, the star of Enos Semore’s 1979 Big Eight champion team.
Anyway, the reporter writes the story, and I started editing. It read fine, except for a couple of funny items. For instance, at one point, Capra said he might retire from baseball and run a gas station. Didn’t seem like something a professional ballplayer would say.
But in those days, we had a small staff, a ton of work and there was a paper to put out. So I didn’t think anything of it.
The Transcript then was an afternoon paper, which means the pages had to be complete around noon or so. That morning, my reporter said he wanted to check on a couple of things and called the 89ers for clarification.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients