Ideal Thunder draft: Thabeet & DeRozan
The headline to this blog is misleading. The ideal draft is a trade with the Clippers for Blake Griffin, but let’s assume that longshot won’t happen. Then what?
How about another longshot? This one more likely, courtesy of the Minnesota Timberwolves. The T-Wolves traded with Washington on Tuesday and now possess the fifth and sixth picks in the NBA Draft. Minnesota’s goal is either to pad its roster with young talent — the T-Wolves have two later first-round picks — or to trade up in search of who knows who.
What if the T-Wolves covet Ricky Rubio and doesn’t come to a deal with Memphis, which drafts just ahead of the Thunder? The Grizzlies take Hasheem Thabeet or James Harden or Tyreke Evans, and that makes it OKC’s turn. And what if the Thunder plays good enough poker to get Minnesota to offer those two picks at five and six?
Not likely. The T-Wolves likely don’t covet Rubio that much, that it in effect would lose Randy Foye (traded to Washington) and the No. 6 pick for Rubio. But you never know. Stranger draft things have happened. The T-Wolves are one of those franchises that need an excitement jolt, which Rubio would provide.
And for the Thunder, there’s no better scenario this side of Blake Griffin than getting the fifth and sixth picks. All teams could use young (inexpensive) talent, and the chance to add two players this high in a draft is a shortcut to success.
Who could the Thunder get at five and six?
Here’s the ideal situation. Memphis unexpectedly takes Arizona State sharpshooter James Harden at No. 2. Minnesota gets Rubio at No. 3. Sacramento grabs University of Memphis star Tyreke Evans.
Then the Thunder gets back to back picks, and the 7-foot-2 Thabeet remains available. And general manager Sam Presti’s commitment to defense kicks in. He grabs Thabeet, then at No. 6 takes Southern Cal swingman DeMar DeRozan, the best athlete in the draft (yes, including Griffin). DeRozan is incredibly athletic with a limited (for now) offensive game. Sort of a 20-year-old Desmond Mason.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17917Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 11872Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 10569OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10552Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 10275Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 9958Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 9874Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 5389Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5156Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4651'Hatchet hitchhiker' arrested after attorney found dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients